Monday, October 29, 2012

Reporting Live From Hurricane Sandy

This'll just be a quick update. The eye of the storm is expected to pass almost directly over my house tomorrow: I'm literally right in the middle of it. Sandy is expected to affect 60 million people in the Mid-Atlantic and northeast - one in five Americans. This is huge, probably the largest storm I'll ever experience in the Mid-Atlantic. From reading this news, outages, damage estimates: this is being described as going to be "as bad as or worse than Hurricane Katrina". It's a weird feeling to know that I'm living through/going to be living through a hurricane as destructive at Hurricane Katrina: a hurricane that I've grown up knowing about. Very weird feeling.

It's not too bad in southern PA yet, but there's going to be a lot of flooding: I'm glad I live on the top of a hill. My family and I almost moved into a house at the bottom of a hill, with a creek: if it wasn't for the fact that that house had such a weird lot, I would be staying with relatives right now.

Outside, it's not bad. The ground is soggy if you aren't wearing shoes, like walking on mud. I was outside in a long skirt and it was being blown around my legs; my hair was blown in my face. It's cold, but not that cold. All of the leaves are gone from the trees: this storm has brought the bareness of winter, though probably only a week early.

Uh oh. My lights just flickered as I typed that last sentence. Sometime between 9am, when I last checked, and now, the outages increased astronomically: about 1500 customers in my county are out.

Right now, it's just a matter of time until my neighborhood is out. Time to go charge this laptop!


No comments:

Post a Comment